While a large scope of the work we provide for the sector is for regulatory purposes, investigative projects for emission and process control is an area where Ektimo can draw on its vast experience to provide the best outcome for its clients.
Mining, Refineries, Smelters
Ektimo are emission testing specialists. Ektimo has a long history servicing the needs and requirements of clients within the aluminium production industry of Australia. Notable current relationships are maintained with Alcoa of Australia and Rio Tinto. The scope of work that Ektimo provides broadly encompasses the full production cycle from bauxite mining, alumina refining, to smelters and casting of the finished product.
The industry in Australia is at a critical juncture in time, in particular the smelters that reside along the East coast. Smelters are high energy users. As a result, they are under intense pressure due to the high costs of energy in this country. When coupled with an over supply of aluminium from the increasingly competitive Asian market, which effectively lowers the base wholesale price, there are many challenges ahead. Obviously these factors are beyond Ektimo’s control, but we strive to play our part in what we provide to our clients.
Ektimo has a committed and continuous approach to excellence, efficiency and streamlining of services. Some examples in the Aluminium Industry would include combustion tuning on Co-generation Units and Correlation programmes for in-stack Continuous Emission Monitoring Systems (CEMS).
The following list covers the most common testing methodologies associated with aluminium production that Ektimo services.
Stack Emission Monitoring
- Particulate matter (USEPA 5/17, AS4323.2)
- Particulate matter - PM10 & PM2.5 (USEPA 201A)
- Particulate matter - Dust meter correlation (PS-11)
- Combustion gases (NOx –USEPA 7E, SO2 –USEPA 6C, CO –USEPA 10, CO2 & O2 –USEPA 3A)
- Volatile Organic Compounds (USEPA 18)
- Aldehydes and Ketones (USEPA SW-846 0011)
- Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (USEPA SW-846 0010, CARB 429)
- Dioxins and Furans (USEPA 23)
- Total Metals (USEPA 29)
- Halides and Halogens (USEPA 26A)
- Total Fluoride (USEPA 13B)
- Odour (AS4323.3)
Continuous Emission Monitoring Systems (CEMS)
- Particulate matter CEMS (Dust meter correlation), compliant with USEPA PS-11, USEPA Proceedure 2, WA CEMS Code, and NSW CEM-1
- Combustion gases (NOx, SO2, CO, CO2 & O2), compliant with USEPA PS-2, 3 and 4, USEPA Proceedure 1, WA CEMS Code, and NSW CEM-2, 3 and 4
- Velocity and flow rate compliant with USEPA PS-6, WA CEMS Code, and NSW CEM-6
Ambient Air Monitoring
- Fluorides (F), manual, double filter paper sampling (AS 3580.13.2, NSW AM-8)
- Fluorides (F), automated, double paper tape sampling (AS 3580.13.1, NSW AM-7)
- Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) (AS 3580.5.1, NSW AM-12)
- Carbon Monoxide (CO) (AS 3580.7.1, NSW AM-6)
- Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) (AS 3580.4.1, NSW AM-20)
- Particulate Matter (TSP), high volume sampler method (AS 2724.3, NSW AM-15)
- Particulate Matter (PM10), high volume sampler with size selective inlet (AS 3580.9.6, NSW AM-18)
- Particulate Matter (PM10), TEOM (AS 3580.9.8, NSW AM-22)
Furthermore, the continued development and expansion of Ektimo's instrumentation department adds yet another service offering to assist our clients to meet the demands of emission and process measurement and control.
Contact us to speak to one of our industry experts about how we can help on your next project.